Home

GENERAL INFORMATION for LONDON TUBE RAMBLES 
Dear friends, I am now (December 2019) leaving the metropolis to live in  Wales! London has been like a giant treasure box – everywhere I went I discovered some new gem, but the time has come to be nearer my family. Most Rambles routes should remain useable for some time to come, but where there is likelihood of change (e.g. in the Docklands area) I have noted this*. In any case, people have told me it's an interesting read for the armchair traveller!  

*SEE THE DISCLAIMER AT THE TOP OF THIS PAGE. AS STATED, WE CANNOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ERRORS OR OMISSIONS
It’s amazing where you can get to by Tube. It goes right out into glorious countryside, but there are quirky buildings and general oddities to be found closer to the centre in the places that were once villages but have now become part of the fabric of London itself. The area I am exploring is outside the rectangle bounded by Kings Cross (North), Paddington/Earls Court (West), Mile End/New Cross (East) and Brixton (South). Below is boring but useful info. I hope you like the walks  as much as  I enjoy researching them.  

Many of the routes are quite short - often less than 2 miles - so it's worth looking at other Tube stations on the same line and covering more than one.  On the other hand,  it can be useful to know a mini-ramble that won't tax someone who can't walk very far - or that can be done in your lunch break. I have indicated where my own trails can be linked to much longer walks such as the London Loop. 
               
Opening times Please note that opening times should be confirmed before setting out . Churches are generally locked  during the day because of theft and vandalism. I have indicated those few parishes that have worked out how to remain open safely. The others can usually be visited by appointment.

Access I have indicated where access might be a bit awkward for those with buggies or walking difficulties, where possible giving an alternative, usually only a small detour. It is the Tube itself that is most likely to cause problems. To check on individual stations go to the Transport for London site. The good news is that increasing numbers of destinations have ramp facilities. If necessary, a route can simply be started from outside the relevant station, having reached it by alternative transport. 

Safety . A few of the walks involve ‘real’ countryside and can be surprisingly remote. If walking alone in woodland etc, it is sensible to tell someone what your plans are and to take a mobile phone and map (downloadable from each entry). In these areas, please follow the Countryside Code. Where I am aware that animals are sometimes put to graze on open grassland, I have said so, but since this is an increasingly popular conservation practice, you may encounter cattle unexpectedly, in which case, make sure to keep children and dogs under control. Do be careful of swans in the nesting season. If they are clearly disturbed by your presence, move away. You don’t want a child to be put off birds for life by an angry swan making threatening noises – or worse. Those beautiful white wings are very strong.

Disclaimer 2. Although I have pointed out in the entries what I consider to be a potential hazard, usually with children in mind, I have tried not to be a ‘nanny’ and cannot be held responsible in any way for mishaps that might occur as a result of following routes suggested. Also, although every care has been taken to ensure accuracy, I cannot take responsibility for any problems that may arise due to errors or changes in opening  times or routes.  

Finally - the irritating notice about cookies that appears at the top of pages is there because of an EU law. Nowt I can do about it I'm afraid.
www.londontuberambles.co.uk